6/12/2008

Thoughts on starting a second year of clerking

I’ve been asked for the second year in a row by my monthly meeting to serve as clerk. I have some gifts that help me to be of service in this role, as well as persistence and faithful participation (my family and I go to meeting every Sunday we’re at home), loyalty, and helping out in several different roles over the years.

I keep saying I’m not the executive director of the meeting. It’s a true statement, and at the same time, I bring my experience as an executive director to the office. It has its helpful aspects. I feel blessed to have the opportunity.

Fortunately, too, I had about a year of clerking fairly easy business meetings before we had a couple of challenging ones. It was helpful to have some experience under my belt before all that erupted.

At business meeting this month, there was a moment when I thought, “God, I truly have no idea what to do next.” It almost felt like leaning on the Everlasting Arms. (If I was more dramatic, I would have thought, “I give up! You have to do it, God. You lead us through the desert, because I don’t know the way!”)

And then clarity emerged, gradually, as more Friends spoke.

Thank you, Friends, and God, for this opportunity to serve. Help me to be open, centered, present, compassionate, and joyful. May I be of service.

1 comment:

Liz Opp said...

Wow, I can't believe it's already been a year! I feel like you just blogged 6 months ago about the invitation to serve as clerk the first time!

I'm glad to learn that the first bit of experience hasn't frightened you away, and I pray this next bit of experience bears good fruit...

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up